Title: An Ember In The Ashes
Series: Ember Quartet book #1
Author: Sabaa Tahir
Page count: 480
Date published: 28 April 2015
Genre: Young Adult high fantasy & dystopian
Rating: (5 out of 5 stars)
Laia is a slave. Elias is a soldier. Neither is free.
Under the Martial Empire, defiance is met with death. Those who do not vow their blood and bodies to the Emperor risk the execution of their loved ones and the destruction of all they hold dear. It is in this brutal world, inspired by ancient Rome, that Laia lives with her grandparents and older brother. The family ekes out an existence in the Empire’s impoverished backstreets. They do not challenge the Empire. They’ve seen what happens to those who do. But when Laia’s brother is arrested for treason, Laia is forced to make a decision. In exchange for help from rebels who promise to rescue her brother, she will risk her life to spy for them from within the Empire’s greatest military academy. There, Laia meets Elias, the school’s finest soldier—and secretly, it’s most unwilling. Elias wants only to be free of the tyranny he’s being trained to enforce. He and Laia will soon realize that their destinies are intertwined—and that their choices will change the fate of the Empire itself.
OH, MY HECK RIP ME!!!!
I read this book so quickly omg. I. Could. Not. Stop. It’s amazing (obviously) and I loved it. I said that I was in a contemporary mood but oh boy that changed SO FAST. Now I want to read all the mythology (??) based fantasy books!! But OH MY GOSH this book was so good and I’m scared now because I know if I go on I’ll have to wait for the last book and ahhh I can’t #thestruggle Anyways let’s just into the review…
As you could tell from above, but I ADORED THIS BOOK and I honestly don’t know how I’m going to put my thoughts into words. My head was spinning tbh. It was action-packed, I couldn’t put it down and it was just SO GOOD!
- The historical fantasy element was so well done I LOVED IT. It’s Roman-inspired and I just love how it was incorporated into the story
- The characters were SO GOOD but I’ll get into that in a sec
- IT IS SO INTENSE I’D PROBABLY DIE!! They treat people so badly
- The whole system of the world is so well done and I admire Sabaa Tahir
- I have a new ship and I will go down with it
- Ahhh I can’t even with this book…SO GOOD
- There is romance but it’s only slightly there which I LOVE
- Darin: he plays a big role in the story but like I don’t know what to think of him.
she’s like my fave character, I love her. haha, omg did you fall for that??Um NO I HATE HER WITH A BURNING PASSION
- Marcus: I also literally hate him!!
- Helene: I have very mixed feelings about her. Like I understand her at times but others I want to strangle her because she’s ONE OF THEM. So I’m not sure about her yet, we’ll have to see in the next book.
- Izzi: I loved her so much. She’s the perfect side-character and friend and I loved her character
- Elias: I LOVE ELIAS SO MUCH I CAN’T EVEN! He is so pure and I adore his character. He cares so much for other people and hates hurting anyone and I just,,
- Laia: Now at first I was “iffy” with her but as the story progressed, she grew so much and I learned to love her. She’s so brave and headstrong and I love her as a character
I didn’t even stop to take notes this time around so I’m sorry because I literally always forget my thoughts.
This book is so fast paced!!! Like you can’t stop once you’re in. I was literally sucked in. The whole word is hecka scary and mortifying. I hate the way slaves are treated and everyone for treating them like that (except Elias, he’s an angel). I feel like there’s so much more of the history to be talked about and I am super excited for that. Like there’s more right??
I had no idea that there would be magical elements to this book. I didn’t expect magic AT ALL. Like wraiths and powers and I LOVE IT. Fantasy is honestly the best.
I loved the dual point of view. I was scared that they’d be kind of similar but they so weren’t. I immediately knew when I was reading who and I just though Laia and Elias were such great narrators.
I SHIP ELIAS AND LAIA SO MUCH!!! Like I’m just counting the seconds for them to be together. I AM HYPED FOR BOOK 2.
Let’s talk about Helene quickly. i am so conflicted?? Like she gets in the way a little bit and doesn’t do what she knows is right, which I don’t like. But she also cares in her own way for Elias. I kind of feel bad… so many feelings just,,
I totally loved this book and I am excited (yet scared) for the rest of the books. But this one was JUST SO GOOD and everything you want in a fantasy book. The perfect mix of world-building and characters and amazingness. READ IT PLEASE
HAVE YOU READ THIS BOOK? DID YOU LOVE IT? WHO IS YOUR FAVOURITE CHARACTER? I’D LOVE TO KNOW!