Title: A Darker Shade of Magic
Series: Shades of Magic book #1
Author: V. E. Schwab
Page count: 384
Date published: 24 February 2015
Genre: Young/New Adult fantasy
Rating: (4 out of 5 stars)
Kell is one of the last Antari—magicians with a rare, coveted ability to travel between parallel Londons; Red, Grey, White, and, once upon a time, Black. Kell was raised in Arnes—Red London—and officially serves the Maresh Empire as an ambassador, traveling between the frequent bloody regime changes in White London and the court of George III in the dullest of Londons, the one without any magic left to see. Unofficially, Kell is a smuggler, servicing people willing to pay for even the smallest glimpses of a world they’ll never see. It’s a defiant hobby with dangerous consequences, which Kell is now seeing firsthand. After an exchange goes awry, Kell escapes to Grey London and runs into Delilah Bard, a cut-purse with lofty aspirations. She first robs him, then saves him from a deadly enemy, and finally forces Kell to spirit her to another world for a proper adventure. Now perilous magic is afoot, and treachery lurks at every turn. To save all of the worlds, they’ll first need to stay alive.
I have a story behind this book: every time I picked it up, I’d get into it and then another book would pop up and I’d put it down (not because it was bad just because I am). So this has been a long time coming. It also might be why this is not a 5 star review.
[Disclaimer: since this took me forever to read I don’t remember everything clearly I apologise in advance]
- Kell’s coat is awesome and I want one
- The banter was spot-on
- I love how all the characters care for each other
- The writing is easy to read and I could’ve flown through it
The magic system in this book is very interesting and I really loved it. I can tell it’s going to get even more interesting and I’LL BE HERE FOR IT.
The plot isn’t necessarily slow but nothing much happens for periods of time?? It’s very interesting but for me, I wasn’t hooked on the plot, more in it for the characters.
- Holland: I honestly don’t know if I should hate him or what? Like the ending makes me question. He’s so evil and I don’t like him but like..?!
- The Dane twins: I HATE THEM SO MUCH. Like how can people be this ruthless and evil
- Rhy: I think I really like him? We don’t see much of him but I can tell he’s going to be a bigger part of the following books and I’m really excited to see more of his character!!
- Lila: I freaking loved her. She’s so full of adventure and awesome-ness and SHE’S SO GOOD!!
- Kell: he’s also a darling and I really love him. He cares so much for his brother and I just want to hug him
So like the last 100 pages of the book is where I was gripped. They was shock after shock which is what I was waiting for!
The whole magic rock is really interesting and I know that it’s not the end of Black London and I’m excited to see where this “dark magic” is going to go. The world is really cool and I really want to read her other books now.
The fight scene scared me so much omg. I almost thought Kell was going to be taken over and that Lila would have to save him.
I loved the ending scenes and how they weren’t cliffhangers. I’m excited to Lila and Rhys’s friendship to develop. I just love Lila in general.
I’m excited about Lila’s character because we know she has magic (missing eye???) and she’s just going to kick butt!
I know this was short,, I’m sorry! I promise I won’t take forever with the next book. I really loved this story and the characters and am super excited for the next ones.
HAVE YOU READ ADSOM? WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS? DID YOU LOVE IT? WHO ARE YOUR FAVOURITE CHARACTERS? LET ME KNOW!