So um… August sucked.
I went back to (online) uni. Second-semester WHOOP WHOOP. Note sarcasm. And eh my mental health has not been so great. It’s better today, up and down I guess.
I’m also in a reading slump. Again. Meaning, I did not read anything so I can’t show you a wrap-up.
Except… this fanfic.
The Ballad of Big Nothing: I,,, watched Flipped again #sorrynotsorry and then went looking for fanfic, as per usual, whenever I watch this. And I stumbled upon this piece of brilliance, which is 7 chapters long and lowkey the best thing ever??? I’m so upset that I can’t add this to Goodreads because it was SO GOOD OH MY GOSH. Loved it so so much and it’s the type of romance I wanna write. So we loved that. And I just adore that story. It’s on Netflix now btw if you want to watch.
I did start some books though, I just haven’t picked them up in like 2 weeks whoops:
- An Ember In The Ashes by Sabaa Tahir: 63% in. I was buddy reading with Kerys but she may have finished already so… need to get back to this reread.
- With The Fire On High by Elizabeth Acevedo: 16% into the audiobook on Anyplay and ah so good so far <3
I also just got approved these eARCS and!! SCREAMING!!
- These Violent Delights by Chloe Gong
- The Invisible Life of Addie La Rue by V.E. Schwab
Being ambitious so let’s call this a possibility pile and pray that my slump ends soon xoxo
Hello, this is me from the 20-minute future who forgot she actually hauled books last month whoops
Big thanks to Jonathan Ball for the surprise book mail and sending me Five Little Liars by Amanda K. Morgan, The Midnight Twins by Holly Race and Highfire by Eoin Colfer!!
And to Penguin Books South Africa for Good Girl, Bad Blood by Holly Jackson and Date Me, Bryson Keller by Kevin Van Whye
I bought all of the rest and so excited to get to them <3
Click the images to be taken to the post : )
- Olivia started a new blog series about blogger origins which was so interesting and I’m excited for more.
- May shared all the deets on her reading spreadsheet and I AM IN AWE
- Sofii talked about 5 things she wished she knew when she started blogging and it’s brilliant
- Kerys did an amazing post pairing books with school subjects and I loved it so so so much
- Caitlin posted an amazing guide on how to support book blogs and she’s just a queen
- Marie also wrote a post about what exactly book bloggers do who is my other queen
- Sophie talked some childhood favourites and it was delightful and I may be inspired
- Rhi recommended books based off zodiac signs and though mine wasn’t there, it was still great!
- Cait wrote a post with about 12345678 2020 releases coming out for in this latter half of the year aka August to October so check that out!!
- Anika shared her favourite enemies to lovers reads perfect for summer and I have some reading to get done <3
- Xandra designed a book adaptation streaming service and I would like to ask when it’ll be ready!!
- Kay did a discussion on being biracial and #ownvoices and it’s so important for everyone to read.
- Noura recommended 5 books by black authors, all of which I’m hopefully going to get to asap
- Cielo did a discussion about Latinx representation, especially when written by white authors and again SO IMPORTANT
- Jessica shared her school planning tips, which I’m definitely going to be making use of
- Sumedha talked about things she’s learnt from 5 years of blogging and it was so insightful
- Erin ranked romance tropes and although mine would be a tad different *wink wink*, it was lovely to read
- Lais recommended books set in California and I just adore all of her recs xoxo
Going to start off with this before we get started on movies, because this new uni semester I’m taking a Film & Television Analysis course. Which I’ve been super loving. And I’m also taking Gender Studies which has me intrigued.
Though I’ve had some life things going on. I think I’m a bit burnt out and also unmotivated, especially when it comes to university work. I love the work but I just… don’t feel like doing it?? No idea why. And I’ve just in general been more anxious and not feeling it? I’m not sure what to do about it, tbh I just feel like waiting it out and taking it easy. But yeah, there we go. I’ll be fine, just taking it easy.
I’ve watched 2 films for my class so far, including Black Panther and Moonlight. I know, FINALLY. It took me like 2 years. Black Panther was by far my more ‘enjoyment watch’, and I was just super into the action and how fun it was. Also, so terrible that we lost Chadwick Boseman and sending his family & friends condolences.
Moonlight, on the other hand, absolutely BLEW me away and I was in complete shock. It was absolutely brilliant and I truly have no words.
Oh and I watched some old favourites, Finding Nemo and The Princess Diaries. Which both get 5 stars and keep your eyes peeled for a future post.
And I’ve also been watching a whole bunch of Suits. Idk why because I don’t think I like it all that much, but it’s super addictive and I’m?? invested?? I don’t really like all that many of the characters so um… I’m conflicted lmao. Send halp.
I also, of course, watched Umbrella Academy. Which I’ve already talked about, and what I wanted to say was that the soundtrack has put me back in my old music mood. So that’s what’s been on my playlist <3 Especially The Stranglers!! SO GOOD.
WHAT DID YOU GET UP TO IN AUGUST? WHAT DID YOU READ? HAVE YOU BEEN IN A SLUMP LATELY? DID YOU WATCH ANY GOOD FILMS OR SHOWS? WHAT WAS YOUR FAVOURITE POST? LET ME KNOW!